Subject: UKNM: two launches and two funerals
From: Chris Locke
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 1999 11:29:06 GMT

What a week.

So, whilst we are arguing a little about innovation vs experience, I think
it's fair to summarise that the opinion is that Smile & Boo have both
launched without fully realising their potential. For whatever I'm worth,
I think this is because of two faults that each site demonstrates. Indeed,
they're almost textbook examples:

1 - Smile & Java.
Java may well have been chosen to surround the user experience and
communication in a cloak of security, but the site feels as though the Java
decision was made very early on and every decision from then on was made to
fit around that. There is no reason to put low-security mail for your
customer onto a bespoke system on your site unless you're a)Hotmail (cheap
jibe, that) or b)craving for page impressions. Smile needs to redesign to
catch up to Egg standards, and fast.

2 - Boo and everything.
The UI just doesn't work. And whilst it's innovation may be justifiably
praised, it may be foolhardy to innovate that much when you have big,
anxious backers who've invested a fortune for a site that's already late.
I think it's spurious to continue to use Boo as a stick to beat Flash with,
as actually Flash is just one of it's problems. Ultimately, it seems, the
thing that might kill the business overall is price . . .

Me, I'm waiting for the BBC News Online relaunch, who I know have been
doing strenuous user-testing for *months* to tweak an already successful
site and make it ready for the future. They're lucky to have (and have
had) such a great team, and the Playboy Matt Jones is as clued-up as UI
designers get in the UK (and that's a drink he owes me). But it's the
process and user-testing that makes me confident to predict we'll be
lavashing plaudits on the site in the coming weeks.

It's the *user-testing*, stupid. It works, so do it.

Chris.