Subject: UKNM: Re: UKNM Digest V1 #754
From: Aidan Cook
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 16:26:05 GMT

> Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 15:12:30 -0000
> From: Tim Moore <Tim [dot] Mooreatstartle [dot] com>
> Subject: UKNM: retail conflicts
>
> consumer retail brands rely on the good will of retailers to sell thier
> stock for them, right. so if the retail brand decides to undercut the
> rretailer, say by selling directly on the web, then the brand in question
> gts demoted to the deepest, darkest corner of the retailers store...or
> delisted all together.
>
> it may be a dumb question, but this being the the case, how do the large
> consumer brands justify thier consumer facing web presences.

The rationale for having a site then becomes to drive consumers to stores,
ideally with a piece of paper (I know, I know, but frankly who cares) in
their hand that describes the product they require exactly. The message to
the stores is:

i/ we love you, and our marketing efforts are focused at getting more
people in your shop, helping you to make more money from them;

ii/ we love you, and that's why we've put details of all our stockists on
our website, so new customers can find you;

iii/ we love you and our website is so cool that you ought to put our
brand in your front window, over everything else;

iv/ your customers love us so much they turn up at your shop demanding
items they've learned about through the website - should you be ordering a
wider range from us?

v/ we love you, so order more of our stuff over our competitors comparable
products, because the consumers are more likely to chose our stuff anyway.

Those all seem to be good reasons for having a website. I'd tell your
clients if I were you...

Kind regards,

Aidan
Sense Internet Ltd, www.sensei.co.uk
Tel: +44 113 293 7373 Fax: +44 113 293 7374