Subject: RE: UKNM: competitor using my company name in META tags
From: Alex Chapman
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 15:49:20 GMT

Please be careful with bluffing.

Section 21 of the Trade Marks Act and common law on Trade Libel and
malicious falsehood means that if you are not on solid ground you can be
sued for making threats.

As I mentioned before there are things that can be done in these
circumstances.

Paul is right that it helps to have a "registered trade mark" - though
there may be circumstances where it may not be necessary.

Also the FT report on this issue is spot on in that the use of the brand
names of toys can amount to trade mark infringement.

It is also worth mentioning that the "Child Online Protection Act" (which
is a piece of US legislation) states that "whoever knowingly .. makes
available material that is harmful to minors (under 17 years) may be fined
$50,000 or imprisoned for up to 6 months or both.

If it is done deliberately the fine is $50,000 per violation per day. There
are exceptions and defences such as using a digital certificate that
verifies age.

However inclusion in META data would not be exempted.

All the best

Alex

Alex Chapman
BRIFFA