Subject: Re: UKNM: retail conflicts
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 23:30:31 GMT

Tim Moore [SMTP:Tim [dot] Mooreatstartle [dot] com] said:

> it may be a dumb question, but this being the the case, how do the large
> consumer brands justify thier consumer facing web presences. do they:
> monetise thier presences in some way; use thier web presence to reduce
cost;
> justify the web budget by scarng the ceo to appove it because if he
dosen't
> then they'll look like stoneage cheapskates?

Pre-web the same situation applied. Some brands sold direct as well as
through retailers, others did not. There has always been a degree of tension
between some brands and their retailers when they do sell direct. The web
changes nothing here.

If a brand, in creating a direct sales channel via the web, increases
competition with its retailers, then clearly there is a danger of increased
tension with the retailer. Justification of such a move will depend upon the
circumstances. Equally, any potential negative effect on trade outlets
should be taken in context. But anyone who believes that the web (in its
present form) will displace all other channels is deluding themselves.

Creating a web channel increases the number of sales channels (by one, for
the numerically challenged). And the web, like other channels, has its own
strengths and weaknesses. The rules of competition will dictate the extent
to which any single channel prospers or does not prosper in relation to any
other. Any you can, as Aidan suggests, use web to support in-store sales.

A good high-street retailer, in a popular high street, who provides
excellent customer service, and is able to contain overhead cost, etc, is
just as likely to prosper as a brand selling products direct on the web.
However, regardless of whether or not the high-street retail model works,
any retailer who does not consider adopting a web channel should consider
instead the benefits of retirement.

Brands often retail, retailers often sell direct, brands sold direct compete
with the same brands sold retail. What works best is excellent customer
service. Price is a marketing issue. For instance, several of the biggest
retailers such as Dixons talk to the public about best prices when in fact
their prices are among the highest. Their customers believe they are getting
a good deal. Comet has the clearest "pile 'em high, sell 'em cheap" policy,
but this would count for nothing if their in-store merchandising and
sales/service offering was not up to scratch.

Retail is retail is retail. The sooner the web startups start to learn this,
the more likely they are to be in with a chance of competing with the
established retailers. Right now, the web shops (with one or two exceptions
such as Amazon) are failing to make any inroads into traditional retail.

Retail business is facing an extended period of fundamental change, the
start of which predates the web. How it comes out, only time will tell. One
of the few rules that seems to be enduring in the short term is that
customers favour a flexible multiple-channel model. If there is any single
consumer who only uses only a single channel to acquire goods, I would like
to know his or her name.

Ray Taylor
Me and my colleagues at eyeconomy have just moved office to a jolly nice
building in the heart of the City of London. So if you ever have reason to
contact us by any means other than electronic, you might like to note the
details (including map and aerial photos kindly supplied by the wonderful
www.multimap.com) at www.eyeconomy.com/contact.htm