Subject: Re: UKNM: chartered status for web professionals
From: Aidan Cook
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 17:59:43 +0100

> I am with you Chas. like all industries, an association started by some,
> with a closed door policy will only lead to other associations being formed
> - ultimately leading into rivalries. I have seen such scenarios in a
> number of professional arenas - and all that happens is groups jockying
> for legitimacy and/or power and eventually causing more harm than good. A
> chartered status is the only solution - a program that is universal if not
> global in legitamacy. That said...I am skeptical...

What about our 'sibling' industries? Advertising, Marketing, PR, (sorry if
the 'sibling' tag gets people's backs up) - how useful are the various
bodies that they have - do clients care what institute you are a member
of? Do they check? Are any of you members of these organisations, and does
it make a difference to the standard of work?

Surely if you're good enough, you should be able to win the client without
having a 'special badge' from a professional body. Unfortunately, some
clients may have to learn the hard way, but hopefully they won't have to
do so twice...

Aidan
(sense internet)