Subject: UKNM: FAST Living (Was AdFilter)
From: Sajid Mohammed
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 18:33:38 +0100

---manouatpostmaster [dot] co [dot] uk wrote:
> <schnipp!>
> On the other
> hand, if we start getting truly creative (re: interactive) with banner
> advertising - we can override the Adfilter threat...

I think we've come back circuitously to the whole question of the
future of advertising online. Let us remember that the banner came
about at a time when the Internet was not a highly sophisticated
space. The logic of putting the banner at the top of the page was that
it was the first thing the user saw.

Since those halcyon days, browser technology has come along in leaps
and bounds. For example, has anyone seen the 'e-culture' advertising
that IBM has been running from Ogilvy Interactive? Click on a banner
and a JavaScript window is spawned, whilst your current browser window
opens up a case study site eg PGA Golf. If you're running RealPlayer
G2 you are treated to a SMIL show with streaming video and graphics.
There is also detailed information about the solution as well as links
to e-business related resources. Nicely interactive.

But then, some people don't like JavaScript windows. So who do you
reconcile? The advertisers who want interactivity or the users who
don't like their browser spawning windows and downloading streaming
media content.

Want answers? You bet your bottom you do.

Advertisers want their advertising to be interactive and responsive.
Simple banner advertising may be good for nothing more than defining
brand values. We need a more sophisticated approach to selling online,
because let's not forget that selling is the key to successful
advertising. You may think that is an obvious point, but believe me it
is one that has to be continually asserted.

The future for advertising online may be sites that combine three key
elements: editorial, sponsorship and e-commerce. Imagine CDnow crossed
with Rolling Stone sponsored by Levis. Then, the user is under no
illusions that they are being sold to. They get information on new and
existing bands, they can buy online and the advertiser gets the
opportunity to tap into their target demographic, as well as the
opportunity to measure response and effectiveness through devious
means only marketers could conceive.

This model could be applied successfully to any demographic IMHO.
Critically it allays the need for microcharging and subscription-only,
models which will find it very hard to succeed - it's been tried
before and hasn't worked. Advertiser-supported media will the way to
go, certainly for the next couple of years.

Personally, banners only get my goat if I'm on dial-up and I'm getting
a pathetic 389 bytes/sec from the server...

Sajid Mohammed