Subject: Re: UKNM: Burn Rate
From: Paul Murphy
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 23:55:32 +0100

>I'd agree that Burn Rate is a "must read". But the really disappointing
>thing is the website

is a marvellous book - also worth seeing are the comments on amazon <seems
to be either one star or 5 stars> especially the ones by ex-employees:

A reader from New York , January 16, 1999
Those who can't, write.

I worked at CMP during the time Wolff writes about. While some of what he
says is true, his descriptions of people in the company is cruel and
insensitive. He describes one of the best journalists in the computer
industry as "a drawf in a wheelchair" I believe. And he belittles the
founders of CMP, Gerry and Lilo Leeds, for the crime of being old.
They've accomplished
more than Wolff ever could dream of. But, I suppose he has a family to
feed, too, and the only way to do it is to insult, offend, draw caricatures
instead of real people. One thing I will say for all the people at CMP
involved in Netguide in the early days--they were trying, and sure they made
mistakes. But so what? Everyone screws up. May Wolff be able to retire on
the royalties of his book, or live off his lawyer wife. One sure thing--ain't
nobody gonna want to be *his* business partner. Burn those bridges, Mike!