Subject: re: Re: UKNM: Fast-loading sites
From: ben
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 12:23:17 +0100

Relating back to my previous email, comparing Quark and the like to WYSIWYG editors for
HTML is a little skew. Quark replaces page layout by hand for publishers - the web, and
web page creation has always been digital.

A better comparison would be C++ programmers and Macromedia Director. Director has
developed into a wonderful programme, far more advanced and useful than any WYSIWYG
editor, but there is still a skill shortage in C++ programmers. Why? Because for top end
production, you need to have the combination of human ingenuity and experimentation to
push the boundaries and trim the code.

When you use a WYSIWYG editor for HTML, you are being restrained by the limits of the
program before you started. Also, the people who create these programs are essentially high
end programmers themselves (a valid reason why Director is so much better than any of the
WYSIWYG editors... the programmers are working within their own medium), whereas
HTML pages are far more closely related to visual design than hardcore programming, and
therefore open on a more technologically basic level to that innovation which humans do so
well...

My point about the dream WYSIWYG editor in my last email was a sort of a joke. Even if
this existed for free, the money for top notch coders would never be wasted...

And in answer to the point about 'Isn't this all a bit technical for a Marketing group?' These
issues of code trimming and graphics optimisation are just as relevant to web marketing as
demographics and consumer trends.

Only a good combination of design, technical innovation, strategic thinking, market
awareness, customer service, and intelligent implementation across all these areas can
produce a successful site. That's why this field is such fun!

I guess that was a bit long winded... sorry Sam.

Ben