Subject: UKNM: RE: University v Cautionary tale
From: Terry Kendrick
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 15:18:42 +0100

Probably all four Michael! The only real fact is he had a good job before
he went now he has not a good job. I wouldn't vouch for cause and effect
here though.

Terry
( having been myself and with two sons at university - so I'm not totally
down on the idea)

>>Yes, but is he a victim of the university / aspiration thing or just
that he
>is now 50 and victim of ageism?
>Michael
>In a message dated 16/10/00 12:47:13 GMT Daylight Time,
T [dot] Kendrickatuea [dot] ac [dot] uk
>writes:
>
><< He was bright and brilliant but hadn't been to university,
> and he got insecure. His first marriage broke up so he decided to sell up
> his house leave his job and go to university. He did great. Then he did
> an MA. He did great. Then he started his PhD on the influence of Eastern
> European governments on the national musics. He ran out of steam. So he
> invested the remainder of his savings in doing an expensive professional
> counselling course and set up his own counselling business. His wife
> chucked him out, and he lives in a beat up flat now eeking out a meagre
> living by doing telemarketing for a local agency. At the age of 50. I
> don't blame going to university for this impact on him but clearly
> university isn't the panacea. Watch out for that itch! It can be as
> destructive as mind blowing.

Find out more about Terry from his website
http://www.terrykendrick.co.uk
(updated September 2000)