Subject: RE: UKNM: Viral Marketing #2
From: Alex Maclean
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 17:37:34 +0100

Hi Alex
Surely building a list of email addresses is actually building a database of
prospects who you can then gather details about, build a relationship with
and over time convert the hottest percentage into customers? (in its most
basic sense).

You could carry on getting thousands of people to visit your site once,
never to see them again....and never to sell to them because they instantly
forget who you are....but that seems like a bit of a waste to me -
particularly if your product is high ticket it's not going to be a one-stage
purchase.

IMHO it's a matter of applying traditional marketing techniques to the
question in hand, to make it work for you. Not going into detail, but: if
you were dealing with direct mail or an on-pack promotion (for example) you
wouldn't chuck away the details of the people who had responded to your
campaign....so why would you do it in this instance? If you are going to get
thousands of details, pre-plan what info you want from them, how you are
going to segment them and how you are going to create the relationship that
turns them into cash customers.

I'm sure Ruth at the IDM would have some tips for you..... :-)

Good luck with the campaign

Alex Maclean
Marketing Manager
alex [dot] macleanatmondaq [dot] com (mailto:alex [dot] macleanatmondaq [dot] com)
http://www.mondaq.com