Subject: UKNM: Alarming
From: James Tarin
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 18:16:57 +0100

LAA03311
Sender: owneratchinwag [dot] com

[Moderator's Note: I wouldn't normally post this type of email onwards,
however as James is willing to vouch for its authenticity...]

Sorry to post non-marketing related material, but this seems important - I
have a confirmed report of this hitting the Chicago office of a large
multinational organisation the day before yesterday. It seems about as
serious as it gets.

james
_______________________
James Tarin
Director of Strategy, Clarity
Tel: +44 171 397 2911
Fax: +44 171 397 2939

http://www.marketing.co.uk

> [...]

> replaced. This is where a rash of Win95/CIH infections within a company can
> quickly become expensive.
>
> With many PCs this involves opening the case, removing the current chip and
> inserting a replacement one. Obviously the BIOS has to match the
> motherboard: BIOSes tend to be designed for a range of CPUs and for
> particular 'chipsets' (all the other logic circuitry needed to make your
> expensive CPU co-ordinate with all the other components inside your PC).
>
> Alternately, a BIOS chip that has been flashed by the virus is not actually
> damaged. However, it requires a fairly specialized piece of equipment to
> reprogram it with the correct BIOS image. This is an option for people with
> the right contacts and a backup copy of their BIOS' contents. (Admit it -
> you seldom backup your data often enough and have never heard of
> backing-up your BIOS!)
>
> These first two fixes assume that your BIOS is installed in a socket.
> Unfortunately, it is increasingly common (and almost universal in laptops)
> that the Flash ROM chip holding your BIOS is soldered to the motherboard.
> In such machines, a motherboard replacement is effectively necessary.
> Although surface mount Flash ROM chips may be able to be removed and
replaced by a
> suitably skilled technician, it is unlikely to be cheaper and likely to be
> slower to effect this kind of repair. With some laptops it may be more
> economic to buy a new machine.
>
> Who needs to worry about this virus? If you run Windows 95 or 98 you are at

> risk. The virus infects PE format executable files ('programs'). This
> includes Windows NT programs, but the virus will not run and its payload
> cannot trigger under NT. Should you be running Windows 95 on a 386 or early
> 486 your are most likely safe - storing the machine's BIOS in Flash ROM
> became popular towards the tail end of the 486 era. Most, if not all,
> Pentium-based machines will have Flash ROM.
>
> We are still working with the chipset and motherboard designers to ascertain
> exactly which combinations of chipset and Flash ROM are susceptible to this
> payload. We know some Flash ROMs cannot be overwritten because the payload
> uses activation sequences known to not work with them. We hope to make more
> details available as we piece things together.
>
> What should you do in the meantime? If from the above you suspect that you
> may be susceptible to this virus, please download (or obtain through your
> standard means) the very latest update to your anti-virus software, install
> it and scan your PC. Most major anti-virus vendors have updates that detect
> this virus. The safest way to scan is from Dos only mode using a DOS
> scanner.
>
> That is not the same as running a scanner at a DOS Prompt under Windows
> 9x. To be sure, select 'Restart the computer in MS-DOS mode' from the shut
> down menu. If starting from power-up, press F8 when the 'Starting
Windows...'