Subject: UKNM: US Patents Office and e-commerece
From: Paul Durrant
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 00:05:45 +0100

Recently the US Patents Office granted patents for e-commerce software
which should be of concern to us. Open Market has been granted US
patents for:

Secure real time online credit card payments
Online shopping carts (basically lists of selected goods for purchase)
Online session identifiers
Even if a company wanted to patent similar things in Europe they
couldn't do so because

1. Patents aren't granted for software (copyright does apply but not for
the method or concept, only for its particular expression)
2. These are really business methods (and they are not patentable
either)
Even in the US it is the software applying these methods which is
patented.

While US patents don't have jurisdiction in Europe, what are the
implications for Europeans (or other countries) trying to do e-business
with the US?

Does this mean if a Web design company in Europe creates a site for a
client using the metaphor of a shopping cart into which you place selected goods and
then pay by credit card online, that if used by US customers, that site
is infringing the patent within the US?

Has any one any views on what this means for us? Do we end up paying
licence fees to US companies for anything we create on Web sites that
does some useful transaction?
Is this US backdoor protectionism against foreign (to them) e-commerce?

Views anybody?

I vaguely remember about 5 years ago, patents being granted for
interaction between multimedia components on CD-ROM, or something
similar, I can't recall the exact detail. It caused such a furore that
it had to be withdrawn. Maybe a similar row needs to be created on
this.

Paul Durrant
Tarnlough Limited, Interactive Business Communications Consultants,
19 Aylesbury, Clonmacken, Ennis Road, Co. Limerick, Ireland.
Tel./Fax.: +353 (0)61 455187 e-mail: pdurrantatindigo [dot] ie