Subject: Re: FLASH: JS SetVariable and extended chars
From: John Dowdell
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 20:59:49 +0100

At 7:44 AM 4/4/0, Ant-1 wrote:
> when passing variables to Flash 4 using the javascript method
> SetVariable, extended chars are messed up.

Although I haven't tested that across a range of browsers myself, I
wouldn't be entirely surprised... only the 128 ASCII values are standard
across systems. The ANSI characters with values from 128-255 vary across
operating systems and language mappings, and extended characters above that
vary even more greatly.

I won't be able to research this today myself, but one thing I'd check for
first would be how various browsers handle various types of extended
characters in various JavaScript and netText operations... this could
provide a clue as to what they might do when passing extended strings to
objects in page.

Sorry, wish I had happier news, but extended characters do vary, and it
gets trickier when passing them between multiple applications.

jd

flasher is generously supported by...