Subject: Re: FLASH: How does Flash 4 Magic compares to Flash Web Design?
From: Helen Triolo
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 16:52:27 +0100

Haven't seen much about the Flash 4 Bible on the list yet. Anyone spent
any time with it? I looked through it at a bookstore over the weekend
and thought it had some great-looking stuff on video and audio that I
didn't see in either F4M or Hillman's book. Also an actionscript
reference with a list of all the functions, if I remember correctly.
And a good blurb by Colin on setting up a Flash movie to handle
actionscript in a logical way. Didn't want to spring for a 5th addition
to my burgeoning collection yet, but would be glad to hear what other
useful things I might've missed in my quick glossing over.

Regards,
Helen

Jason Bouwmeester wrote:

> I'd agree with David. Just picked up Hillman's book last night. Looking
> through it, it is very much so about design, although he does a good job in
> disecting the projects available. One thing it lacked was a CD... but... hey
> can't win them all!
>
> Flash 4 Magic was very much Actionscript oriented and is a great resource
> for that, the code and stuff on the CD is well worth the cost of the books
> itself.
>
> Both books cost the same. So dollar for dollar it's all about what you are
> looking for. If you are looking moreso for hardcore Actionscripting, get
> Flash 4 Magic, if you are looking for hints, inspirations about design, then
> get Flash Web Design. If money is a constraint, I'd tend to lean towards
> Flash 4 Magic, but that is just my opinion... David is right, these two
> books are on different ends of the spectrum, and they are both very
> complementary.
>
> HTH,
> Jason

helen triolo · http://i-technica.com
designerati-technica [dot] com · 301-424-6037

flasher is generously supported by...