Subject: FLASH: RE: FLASH: GGGGRRRR Yahoo! and Shockwave 7 :Þ
From: CurtisB
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 07:38:37 +0100

>SW702 assuredly has had a negative impact to some individuals, notably
>IT individuals, about the acceptability of *all* plugins, as was
>mentioned either on Direct-L or shocker.

I don't know if my experience is representative or not, but a week ago I had
my PC go south and got a brand new PC with a fresh Win98 installed. Since
Win98 installs older versions of Shockwave, I almost immediately went to
Macromedia's web site to update my plugins with the latest. I downloaded the
shim for Netscape, run the installer, it asks to download additional files,
went to www.macromedia.com/shockwave/welcome it shows me I've installed
Director 7.0 and the movie works. I go to a different site with D7.02
content, it asks me to update my plugin, go to MM's site, it updates the
plugin then I CAN'T SEE ANYTHING on the welcome page. Worse, next time I
come back, it gives me an error message saying my plugin is broken, would I
like to go to MM to fix it. Gives me the same download, I say what the heck,
and get it again, in case mine was goofed up somehow, install it, sends me
to the web site, says I have an error, would I like to update it etc. Okay,
so I do IE to get the ActiveX control. THE SAME THING (more or less)
HAPPENS. Now I cannot view ANY Director content in my browsers. When I
restart my machine, it tells me my SWINIT.EXE file and my REMOTE.exe file
are missing, while still putting the silly shockmachine icon in the tray. I
do some elaborate uninstall, go through the registry, etc, removing all
trace of Shockwave content and start afresh. The exact same thing happens
again with both browsers.

What's up with that? I've had it with 7.02.

Curtis