Subject: Re: FLASH: PUBLISH woes...
From: Russell E. Unger
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 18:34:31 +0100

Brad:

> I can see you're upset about this situation, and I'm sorry that's the case. I can assure you we were not doing any "snickering in a back room" over how we handling publishing Flash 3 content in Flash 4.

Can you really assure me of that? Somewhere along the way, someone knew that was goinbg to happen, and if they didn't, it was poor testing measures. Certainly, the snickering may not have happened and I'll grant you that. However, this *was* known that it would happen, and I don't recall any sort of "Heads up" on this situation. Granted, there's so many different heads-up that MACR could be giving that it's probably not feasible. I'm not
unreasonable; I just think this is a horrible, horrible thing to do without some sort of STRONG notation.

As mentioned, this doesn't really affect me; I have known how to implement the changes since before being told twice how to handle it. That's not the point in the least. The point is the direct affect on the end-developer, and the fact that the end-developer has been overlooked or ignored in this instance. I wish I had my FM (as in RTFM) with me so that I could find any information about this happening in the PUBLISH section. This should have at
least mentioned in that section or developers are not being served. Seems to me that MACR came to me pretty quickly with an answer so it could be a rather known issue.

> We worked hard at trying to make it as easy as possible for those people who want to continue serving up Flash 3 content. At the same time, the improvements we made to Flash 4 made it impossible to continue just using the Flash 3 ActiveX control.

It was impossible to change the code from 4,0,0,0 to 3,0,0,0? That seems to fix it for me...

> Given the situation described above, I believe the steps already described in my previous emails are easy, simple and usable. If you use the default publish settings, we publish using references to the Flash 4 ActiveX control. If you want to reference the Flash 3 ActiveX control, you use a different template.

Quite easy. Create a tech note. Publish the information in the next manual if it is not there (again, my FM is not handy right now). Kill the remote.

That's all I ask--this isn't even for me; it's for the good of the majority of the Developers who keep you employed. That's rule #1 in customer service.

Thanks.

Russ