Subject: Re: FLASH: PUBLISH woes...
From: Robert Koberg
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 06:28:53 +0100

No Brad.This is a bug. If it is not a bug then it was definitely an
underhanded way of getting more F4 downloads. This at the expense of the
developer's time. For example, I download and install Flash 4. In fact, I
download it on all of the test computers because a job required F4. Now I
have a job that requires flash 3. I do the job. It tests fine on all my
machines. I then hand it over to the client (who has already dloaded f4
because she is so excited about gettting to use flash in her project). It
works fine on her machine. She enables it for a beta team. The team (like
the general popualtion of users for this example) are all equiped with the
same spec: yadayada browser and Flash3. Boom - it does not work the way I
told them it would. What? they need to download something??? Why did we go
to the trouble of having the spec??? (by the way, I am making this up)

Now of course the response will be, "he shoudl have tested on the delivery
platform, that being Flash 3 on target machines." Yea, sure. But do you
think that is the way the general flash population will behave. I bet there
are going to be many questions asked about "why is it asking me to download
when I choose to save as Flash3???" (and we won't have an archive to point
people to so we will answer the same question over and over and over...)

to MACR:
Why is there a Save As Flash 3? so there is some backward compatibility.
Why is there the afterburner thingy in the menu? so we do not have to go
into the HTML. Why did you make it so when we save as Flash 3 we have to go
in and edit html code? because you wanted more flash 4 downloads. Did you
tell the user about this? Did you leave up to him/her to figure it out for
themselves? Did you miss the bug?

> I can see you're upset about this situation, and I'm sorry that's the
case. I can assure you we were not doing any "snickering in a back room"
over how we handling publishing Flash 3 content in Flash 4. We worked hard
at trying to make it as easy as possible for those people who want to
continue serving up Flash 3 content. At the same time, the improvements we
made to Flash 4 made it impossible to continue just using the Flash 3
ActiveX control.

> Given the situation described above, I believe the steps already described
in my previous emails are easy, simple and usable. If you use the default
publish settings, we publish using references to the Flash 4 ActiveX
control. If you want to reference the Flash 3 ActiveX control, you use a
different template.