Subject: Re: FLASH: flash playback in dir 7
From: John Dowdell
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 22:29:00 +0100

At 8:08 AM 8/24/99, Matt Parry wrote:
>Even though my flash movie is at the highest frame rate and director id set
>at a high tempo, imported flash moves are slow and sluggish. Has anyone else
>seen this or know of a solution. I am on a dual 300 with 256 MB. It should
>be fast enough.

Likely could be either of two things:

-- Realtime vector rendering won't automatically go faster in Director...
you'll still see Flash-like frame rates when rendering Flash sprites in
Director.

-- There's also a potential slowdown issue in D702/Win32... if you're
repeatedly creating and destroying Flash sprites then things can slow down,
with the number of creations varying with individual machines. A revised
Flash Asset Xtra for Windows will be on the website soon, but you can use
the one in your Shockwave 7.02 Player now if you wish.

Note also that very high frame rates in Director can actually work against
you when trying to incorporate external renderers... for instance,
QuickTime and other sources get more idle cycles for play if you set a
*low* framerate in Director.

jd