Subject: FLASH: Gimme a break, J.D.
From: Tom Green
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 22:20:52 +0100

John Dowdell wrote:

> Distilled implicit questions and replies follow:
>
> ((Q) If someone advises Mac users to avoid Shockwave 7.02, do they "know
> what they're talking about"?
> (A) They're likely vulnerable to drawing conclusions on slight evidence...

Now hold on there, JD!

The Shockwave Remote is a huge issue over on Direct-L where the developers
hang out. Though Warren has been leading the charge there is a growing
consensus over there the whole thing is seriously flawed. Unfortunately, the
number of developers compared to the number of people steered to the site is
rather small so the numbers are skewed in favour of the Mothership.

What really burns my butt is the fact Mothership has actively positioned
Shockwave as "entertainment". I am a bit disturbed that my role as a content
developer has been trivialized by Macromedia. Where's the educational content?
The artistic content? The corporate content? You know, the stuff I produce
every day. Yet go to the Shockwave site and you see South Park, games and
other fluff getting the big play.

>From this you could assume that great work from Matinee, New Beetle, Remedi,
David Gary and so on is nothing more than content to amuse the masses at MM's
Roman Circus?

It strikes me as being the height of arrogance or good old Yankee stupidity to
trivialize the role of the very people upon which the success of Shockwave.com
is based.

Then again millions of downloads does create quite a valuable mailing list, so
what if a few hundred developers are screaming. Just look at those numbers,
will ya?