Subject: Re: FLASH: exporting Flash images
From: John Dowdell
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 22:42:23 +0100

At 12:11 PM 8/24/99, Karin Christensen wrote:
>I am very excited. Science magazine is going to feature my Flashed
>virus site in an upcoming issue. They want some images from the site
>that are 300 dpi in order to be able to print them. I understand how
>to export an image but can I change the resolution from 72 to 300?
>What format would be best?

It may be best to confirm the format with the publisher. I'd suppose
they're thinking of CMYK TIFFs, but they'd usually give you the pixel
dimensions they prefer, rather than just the number of pixels per inch.

(Rephrased, the DPI itself doesn't convey as much information as the number
of pixels, the colorspace, the format, and any color correction that needs
to be done.)

It's possible to export a still from Flash as curves, and this is usually
done in the least-common-denominator .AI format. But a publisher may not
want small packages of PostScript, whether encapsulated or not, floating
around in their (XPress?) files... they may actually prefer a pixel-based
image, as they told you.

If you have to go out as pixels, then it's pretty easy to resize the window
in the browser so that it gives about as many pixels as you wish and then
do a screen capture... this assures that you'll render at the desired
dimensions, and wouldn't have the CMYK shift that happens with Illustrator
files. Could be a couple of ways to go here, though.

Can you get more info from the publisher about exactly what format they
prefer, Karin...?

jd