Subject: Re: FLASH: Publish 3 and 4
From: Warren 'The Howdy Man' Ockrassa
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 01:04:07 +0100

Nigel Randsley-Pena wrote:

> The discussion has reached a level that prompts this kind of reply from
> you about new concerns :
> "You will NOT be able to turn off the remote if someone has linked to
> your site -- and already has the remote on. That will not change and
> only assholes want it to change. (I said this was brief.)"

Yes indeedy, that was me, in a state of deep frustration that I was
having to repeat the same information for the nth time about a
fundamental facet of the remote's functionality.

Given what I know about how plugins operate, they can't just reach out
and turn off things at will. I have gone to *very* great lengths on that
list to explain why that was so. I was speaking from an intense
frustration that no one seemed to be willing to consider I could be
right about that, and that they were apparently taking the stance of "no
remote at all", which is unfair and out of line.

I do not like the remote, personally. But there are plenty of
applications where it can have merit. I recognize that fact.

Macromedia has in fact done a heck of a lot to answer concerns. I
recognize that fact as well. It is astoundingly commendable that they
keep right on posting through it all, repeating the same facts they put
out 11 days ago, which clearly were not explored adequately at the time
they were sent then.

Some of the recent issues coming up about the remote are a little hard
to thread, frankly -- I continue to have the impression that some people
simply are not keeping up with Macromedia's own releases on the subject.

> My post, that you quoted, was quite bland, and I held back some more
> acrid remarks just because of the original posters. Just try to keep
> thhis up and I will have more to say.

I'm not looking for a fight, Nigel, believe me I am not. Some of the
things discussed are virtually old news now; they have been responded to
and are being handled as I type this. That this fact is being ignored is
exasperating.

That I have to, apparently, repeat something I send -- to a listserv --
three or four times a day is even more so.

That it *still* does not sink in... Yow!

And that I am repeating, in essence, what was posted by Macromedia over
a week ago! Yee! ;)

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. Regardless of how you or I feel about
the remote, I think we can agree that some of the discussion is... well,
not ridiculous; perhaps simply out of date?

--WthmO

PS: You must admit that I got some attention there and was able to
actually convey to a few the idea that what they want -- for their file
to reach out and kill a remote invoked elsewhere -- was simply
impossible, and asking for it to happen completely nonproductive.