Subject: Re: FLASH: Peevish
From: Lena Björklund
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 08:24:50 +0100

Warren 'The Howdy Man' Ockrassa wrote:

> Interesting point. It is obviously an element of net culture that humans
> are more outspoken online than face to face.

The fact that it may by culture doesn´t say it´s a good one.

> Has it occurred to you that this may simply be the way things are, and
> that you may be attempting to modify an entire cultural fact? (That
> would be harder than convincing the majority of Italy they should become
> Muslims.)

Now there are no ethnical ties between people spending time in front of
screens, comparable to the ones connecting ethnic groups.

> Seems people are much more upfront in email and other fora like it than
> anyplace else. And it is so ubiquitous that it feels like a deep
> behavior. Thus protesting it might be about equivalent to protesting
> one's breathing.

I think the tendency of showing more of your aggresiveness relative to
peoples distans from you, bares dangerous resemblances to those mecanics
that starts war. Cultivated, in the words proper sense, people *always* do
their best to hold back their aggressive feelings when communicating with
foreigners. They also know there is a stronger risk for misunderstandings,
not seeing the other persons whole appearance and, if the misunderstanding
persists, waits for a meeting in real life to sort things out. Other
behaviour is just cowardness and has nothing to with culture.

>Actually I really mean that. I've been thinking about that a lot lately.

> --WthmO

Lena B - who thinks you should think a little more about that.
http://home.swipnet.se/lena_b