Subject: Re: FLASH: OT: Fireworks replacing Adobe Photoshop?
From: Matt Spiegler
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 14:37:03 +0100

And it probably never will. The annoying fact is that unless they really really
piss of their customers Adobe has a rock-solid product line already
(Pshop,Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere etc.). So they don't have The
animation/web market locked up, big deal! if they would just recognize and
accept their position as one of (not THE ONLY) many market leaders, and work
with the other companies (MM, Quark etc.), to integrate their products,
everyone would be happy. Besides, Animation and interactivity, from the early
days of Director, have always been the MM domain. It's not as though they snuck
in and stole this market away from Adobe.

graphics professionals display a particularly strong allegiance to their
software, and Adobe has always benefited from this. What they need to
understand is that it's going to be just as difficult to convince designers and
programmers to give up their non-adobe products, and to even attempt it,
especially through such sleazy tactics, could potentially backfire. I was
strongly considering buying Livemotion, because I'd heard that it worked well
for animation, if not for scripting, and could be used in conjunction with (not
instead of) Flash. I think I'll spend that money on more RAM instead, give my
Flash a little more oomph ;)