Subject: Re: FLASH: OT: Your Professional opinion...
From: Marc Hoffman
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 01:34:17 GMT

At 04:22 PM 2/9/99 -0700, you wrote:
>First Bob....
> DROP OUTTA SCHOOL!!!
><SNIP>
>If anyone has stories that contradict
>this post em now, but that's my experience.

Well, I would disagree, although I would say classes alone will hardly gain
you employment success in this field.

I actually got quite a lot out of a nine-month certificate program in
multimedia. I was already computer literate but not in web stuff. I was
able to quit my job while in school, so every day I practiced what was
being taught. It was a great way to get hands-on experience with the main
tools of the trade. I also was able to get BIG student discounts on
software. We had lots of instruction in Photoshop, Director, and HTML. A
bit of Flash, Illustrator, and Premiere. Some other odds and ends. Some
good teaching about web stuff like the web-safe palette, interface design,
and bandwidth issues. There was lots of frustration with occasional
mediocre instructors and even more so with equipment failures. But in the
end I got what I went for, including some good industry contacts (through
teachers and other students in the program) and a portfolio piece.

To the basic web design "programs" others have already mentioned, I'd add
the obvious: learn HTML, even if just the basics. Do hand-coding in a
simple text editor like NotePad until you are comfortable with it and can
find HTML errors just by looking at the code.

I also find it extremely worthwhile to help others learn. I did this in
school and I continue doing it every day (being on this list is part of
that for me).

Everyone has his or her own learning style, but I wouldn't rule out school.
It's just one of many ways.

Marc Hoffman