Subject: FLASH: College or not?
From: Scott Wilkinson
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 12:46:57 GMT

Forgive me for flogging a near-dead horse, but I've followed the college
thread with interest. (Off-topic though it may be.)

My own situation is somewhat unusual and leaves me straddling the fence on
the issue. I have a B.M. degree from The Juilliard School in New York. My
first career was as a professional classical musician. I did everything
right: went to a world-class conservatory, performed in international arts
festivals, freelanced a lot, networked with the bigshots, even played
professionally overseas. In short, I was qualified as hell for my chosen
career...and still had to abandon it. There were (and still are) too few
real jobs and way too many qualified musicians for those jobs.

So here I am today, ten years later, a writer and web/multimedia developer.

What's interesting is that I have a college degree, but it has absolutely
nothing to do with my current profession. (Believe me--there are no computer
courses at Juilliard!) Do I regret it? Not in the least. It was a priceless
experience. And I suppose one might argue that it taught me to strive for
excellence in all that I do.

As for my current profession, I acquired my skills through a decade-long,
twisting path of several jobs in different facets of the communications
industry: copywriting, marketing, video & film production, retail franchise
communications, etc.

The issue of college is a complex one, because different people benefit in
widely differing ways (and amounts). You can't knock a well-rounded liberal
arts education, though. For those that feel like they can't take the time
for college, what's your rush? And for those that believe it's too expensive
and burdens you with debt, why go to a pricey school? You can learn a
heckuva lot from community colleges and small, inexpensive 4-year schools.

Scott

--
Scott Wilkinson
Alias Design, Inc.