Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash book
From: David Gary
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 17:00:38 GMT

DragonFly wrote:

Good "stuff" Jeff, and I agree. I don't believe we need to support an

> author who's done little to amass available knowledge and present it in a
> coherent form. We can do this for ourselves, *here*.
>
> Ken
>

>From my personal experience, I have about a grand worth of 3D and graphics
books on my shelfs
and 90% of them collect dust. Even though I dont discourage buying "how to"
books, the only ones
Ive personally found helpful are the ones that have plenty of tutorials. Step
by step is the best way
(for me) to learn quickly. I learned a great deal of 3D MAX this way. Also if
there are hands on classes in the
area, I will spend a couple hundred dollars to get hands on training a couple
of nights.

I havent personally seen Ken's new book, but I also dont know who Ken is. I
think Ive seen him on the list a
couple of times promoting his book. If Ken has some really killer Flash work
and Im missing it let me know,
but personally I wouldnt buy any book that didnt show me cuttin edge
techniques. If your a beginner and
this book has step by step tutorials then it might be worth a look. Recently, I
found some of the
new graphics magazines to have more 3D tutorials than most of my 3D 5inch $70
books.

Ive seen some great online tutorials, but you have to search through alot of
crap first to find the good stuff.
Sometimes its just more efficient to have a book in front of you.

-DG-