Subject: Re: FLASH: Horizons online rocket console --CRASH
From: zeug gezeugt
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 17:43:16 GMT

Hi, Malcolm........

Very cool interface and some creative ideas, I must say. However, after a couple of minutes the console crashed my browser. I'm on a PowerMac, NS 4.5, System 8.5.1.

If you're familiar with MacsBug, the Mac system debugging utility, I'd be happy to go back and re-crash in order to generate a log file of the crash for you.

Mike

yes thanks, I had a few major crash happy problems earlier today with type 1 and 2 errors on my powermac 7300/180 OS8.5.1 and Nav 4.07. I traced it down to the flash movies I edited monday night that are playing in the video console's CSS layer...I had two Get URL's at the end of a movie and navigator seemed to get confused allocating these to two different frames and it would crash every time. I figured it was a problem connected with the javascript I use to load pages into the layer cos multiple URL's work fine in the other flash movies. When in doubt I always blame js and it seems to work for me. Separating the URL calls by about 20 or so frames fixed it my end (about 6pm WST in west aus) and its been as stable as its ever been ie 7 times through the launch sequence without running out of ram or crashing (just in time for Bromfield's review, he's Perth's local mainstream technophobic art critic).

But...I had a sinking feeling the problem might also be connected with network delays to my ISP cos I didn't notice the crash problem until I logged on today with all the usual daytime traffic etc. So internet lag might just still be crashing international users if it is a problem with the two URL calls backing up and conflicting with the CSS layer etc...

So yes thanks, I'd like to make this a safe global site. Make sure you clear your cache unless that's a problem for you, but then you want to look for a crash...I also give nav 4.07 25MB ram and it doesn't have too many problems running shockwave and quicktime.

Thanks for the feedback Mike.

Malcolm

What deceives some people and destroys others about belief is the way it makes us forget the real.

Irigaray, Sexes and Genealogies