Subject: Re: FLASH: No more demo FLAs
From: Rick Koch
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 02:10:41 GMT

And now from the designer's point of view (who REALLY needs the help
you've been so gracious to give).

Precious few designers, and more importantly, clients, are keen on the
idea of having to add a graphic, or a blurb, or frankly anything that's
not in the "style manual", so to speak, for that particular site they're
developing. I've even had client's ask me to take my OWN credit off of
the bottom of the pages I've designed for them!

My point is, can inclusion of a credit to you be in the code rather than
on the visible "surface" of the page? After all, anyone who wants to
see how something is done (or God forbid, try to steal it) is going to
go to the code anyway.

I wouldn't think of using your work without your permission. I've asked
permission from Mr. Moock, Mr. Croteau, and probably you in the future.
But I would probably scrap an entire idea if I were forced to alter a
page design in order to accommodate a credit visually.

I, for one, would be more than willing, even happy to credit you 'til
the cows come home' in the code - a logical place for it anyway. People
like me have the most to lose by your decision since your work - and the
discussions that follow it on this list - are, hands down, the best way
for programming-ly challenged people like me to ever learn it.

Just a thought. What do you think?

Rick K.

Cheri Harder wrote:

> Can you help us, here, Branden.
SNIP
> The point I'm trying to get at here, is WHERE does this "obviously it's ok"
> change to "obviously it's NOT ok" Does the next guy have to say "1 + 3 =
> 4" ?? This is an honest question and I'm NOT trolling, here. :-) I really
> don't know the answer.
>
> Like, the only way to "drag" a mask layer is to fake doing so, by
> tell-targetting the underlying layer to move in the opposite direction of
> the drag. Now, I learned that on this list and have intention of using it
> in a paying contract. I didn't "copy any code" as it were, I just read the
> eMail with the explanation, but looking at my result, how would anyone know
> that I didn't copy? This is the only way to accomplish the end result, and
> it might very well look like I copied someone's code, you know?

flasher is generously supported by...