Subject: Re: FLASH: No more demo FLAs
From: Branden Hall
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 02:03:34 GMT

Good question... and one that is really quite fuzzy in nature...
So here's an equally fuzzy, but hopfully satisfying answer...

Concepts are one thing... Like adding numbers... or faking a draggable
mask... or programatic movement... or even basic collision detection. This
stuff has been well documented in tutorials and wads of files. Thats
perfectly fine stuff! Use as needed! The reason behind this is because these
concepts are needed to build a whole, they do not stand on their own. You
*have* to use them in some context that requires more than just swapping in
graphics.

What is not cool to just take and run with are whole collections of ideas,
like my swing, or my reactive matrix, throw new graphics on them, and call
them your own. If you take these things, learn from them, and take that
code to make something else, thats great! And its totally cool with me! The
code is meant for educational purposes, to learn how to code in flash, and
you can use it build from... I love to see it!

The problem that I had with todays culprits were that they simply took my
code
slapped some cheesy graphics on top and called it theirs... nothing was
really changed...

I guess the best analogy would be weather you use code as a tool, or as a
final product... if you use a saw to build a house, you built the house,
its yours! But if you just repaint the saw and call it your idea, thats
wrong....

I hope that cleared things up a bit...

-= Branden J. Hall
-= Multimedia Developer/Instructor