Subject: Re: FLASH: No more demo FLAs <OT>
From: Laura Mollett
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 15:52:56 GMT

>> [...] but he's Yankee
>> enough, for example, to know how to attach a registration symbol to
>> the word Tupperware that plays a part in the wishy-washy prose of his
>> brain article.
>
> What has a registration symbol to do with writings?
What I'd like to know is, if he didn't read the article, how's he know
Branden put a registration notice on the word Tupperware? I didn't
understand this comment until I read the article (which I hadn't previously
managed to get to yet and thanks again Branden, a great start :)

>> - If audiences of this list are incapable of detecting irony,
>> then maybe I should give up.
>
> What you're writing is not irony, it's bullshit (IMHO).

It's *sarcasm* - sarcasm is "ironic, bitter humor designed to wound." It's
"a form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is
intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule." It was ironic
as well (as sarcasm often is) as it was "marked by a deliberate contrast
between apparent and intended meaning," (cynical, wry, sardonic, "displaying
contemptuous mockery of the motives or virtues of others") but the ultimate
goal was to hold Branden up to contempt or ridicule. Acknowledging the
writing style for what it is doesn't make it either 1) right or 2)
good/nice. It might very well also be bull - the terms aren't mutually
exclusive ;) - but I can't stand to see all the terms misued and the
ultimate thesis/goal misunderstood.

> William, as said before, shut the f*** up! Go, unsubscribe! Not a great loss
> for the Flasher community at all.

> Sorry to continue this stupid thread, but I just couldn't close my mouth.
> Making "funny" jokes about other peoples typos, complaining about the work
> provided by other people on the list for *free* and then this stupid
> personal attacks... just *had* to reply.

Ah well, I'm not a great fan of trolling the other way, even if he was rude,
but he doesn't seem to be either giving or getting a great deal from the
list. Then again, maybe he's got a grievance with MM and copyright laws
that's coming out in venom against Branden and we can convince him
otherwise, and he'll become a member of the community - turnarounds like
that have happened on this list before.

Sorry but your reply just encourages those of us who love talking, simply
cannot resist saying something when they see misunderstanding of terms like
that (even though it's pretty obvious you didn't really want it defined) and
aren't too busy right at this point in time.

Laura

flasher is generously supported by...