Subject: Re: FLASH: No more demo FLAs
From: Clodagh O'Donovan
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 18:05:59 GMT

Dear Branden

I totally agree with you - you are more than generous as is - I believe code
snippets sor conceptual examples would be the perfect solution - enough to get the
idea across but not 'stealable'.

Thanks for all your input so far - I've been very grateful, if not very vocal.

Clo

Clodagh O'Donovan
Fever Information Design Limited Tel: 00 353 1 677 1131
19 Wicklow Street Fax: 00 353 1 677 1088
Dublin 2 Email: clodaghatfever [dot] ie
Ireland URL: http://www.fever.ie

Branden Hall wrote:

> Hey folks...
> It has come to my attention recently that two "companies" are using code
> from some of the demo FLAs in their online portfolios without any mention of
> my name or Fig Leaf Software. This is not cool. I have written numerous
> demos FLAs and released them to the flash community for people to learn
> from. I really enjoy doing this and love to see the stuff in use on peoples
> site (mainly because I have always recieved a nice little mention in the
> credits, thats all I want!) The cases I have been dealing with today are
> different... the companies in question are portraying my code as their
> own... no mention of my name or anything at all. They are trying to show
> off thier talent and creativity, while all they are really doing is showing
> their ability to shove new graphics onto my code, nothing else has changed.
> This is ridiculous... and to put it in personal terms.. it hurts.
> In light of this I have decided to no longer release any fully operable
> demo FLA files. Anything I release in the future will be in the form of
> code snippets or conceptual examples. I will continue supporting the Flash
> community and keep working on my Branden's Brain article series, in fact
> there will be a new issue next week. I wish I could say I was mad at this
> situation, but I'm not, I'm just saddened by it.
>
> -= Branden J. Hall
> -= Multimedia Developer/Instructor
> -= Fig Leaf Software
>
> p.s.
> I certain flasher emailed me a sample they made using my code asking if they
> could use it in their portfolio. I responded saying that it would go
> against my wishes but that I knew the ultimate decision was up to them. I
> would just like to publically thank that person for asking. It shows real
> integrity, something that the sites I dealt with today do not seem to have.

flasher is generously supported by...