Subject: FLASH: Bug with Tell Target and Align Tool
From: Eric Smollin
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 14:56:37 GMT

Hi,

I wanted to inform you of a bug I found in Flash 4.

Create a new MC. In this new movie clip leave the first frame empty and
insert a stop action. A couple frames down the timeline add a graphic and a
stop action. Label this frame "play" or whatever you want.

Drag an instance of this MC onto the main stage (it will appear as a white
dot because of its empty first frame). Double click on it and give it an
Instance name of "MC" or whatever you like.

Now create a button and give it the following actions:

On (Release)
Begin Tell Target ("/MC")
Go to and Play ("play")
End Tell Target
End On

Test the movie.

No problem, the playhead finds the correct MC and label and everything is
fine. Now, select the MC (white dot) and click on the Align tool in the
toolbar. For Vertical, select the first option on the bottom row. For
Horizontal, do the same thing, select the first option on the bottom row.
Click to insert a checkmark in the Align To Page checkbox. Normally this
would align the object to the center of the stage. Click OK.

Now test the movie. The MC can no longer be tell targeted. In order to get
it to work again you must delete the instance of the MC and bring in a new
one from the library.

This problem only occurs when you are working with a MC' with a blank first
frame. If you have graphics in the first frame of the MC you can align it
with the stage and have no problems using tell target.

I am running NT 4 with option pack 5. I haven't tested this on other
platforms so I don't know if the problem is universal. If this is a known
issue I apologies, I have never read about it anywhere.

Ciao for now.

-Eric Smollin-

flasher is generously supported by...