Subject: Re: FLASH: Browser types
From: David Gary
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 06:47:46 GMT

Daniel Votino wrote:

> May I ask a silly question?
> Isn't it really "our" job to see that the world utilizes the current plugs
> and browsers? "Our" being the "developers"?
> I agree there is a need to design so as to be accessilbe to the majority of
> users but its seems that if all developers would unite we could make a
> pretty good case for the new technolgy and even be successful.
> Here's an entirely irrational and unthinkable solution!
> How about we dont support lesser versions of things!?
> Crazy I know. But don't ban me yet!
> What if we spent less time building multiple sites of the same things to
> service the half interested users (I say half because they aren't up on
> their archaic technology or don't really care) and instead, we find ways to
> nicely invite the user to get caught up and make it easy for them to do so.
> They are going to have to do it eventually and the only reason they will is
> becasue some developer SOMEWHERE has made a strong enough case for it at
> their site, either by twisting the users arm, making it so inviting, or some
> other great method. When it all comes down to it. The developers I think
> are the only ones that can eliminate so many plugs and browser versions in
> the playing field. They do it perhaps by, not necessarily showing no
> support for an older product, but by heavenly supporting the newer. Food for
> thought. Kick me in the shins for saying so. Maybe its just my mood
> tonight.

Hiya Daniel,

Points taken but you need might want to take a few things into consideration.
One, being that the professional developer
has to target clients that usually make mula from their sites. To do this we
must create for as many viewers possible
to attraction attention to their brand. If we limit the browsers, we limit the
potential for our clients and in doing so, for ourselves.
It simple to say "eliminate and use force", but try selling that to a client who
wants his product or services accessible to the masses. Selling the "plug-in" is
hard enough. Telling a client that your only designing for the latest browsers
is like cutting your
own throat. I do agree that education is the best way and it would be great to
distribute the best ideas and techniques on how to
make it as easy as possible for "joe blow" to dl and install Flash plug-in and
also helpful information on how to "sell" flash to
potential clients. I have yet to see any real discussion on this list about "the
business" which questions just how many "professionals" lurk here. The average
internet user is usually behind 2 or 3 versions on everything. Believe me, your
barbaric yelp for order is a cry in the wind when talking about revolution on
the internet. It is wished by all of us that we had more say so, but when
competing with standard things tend to get alot more dicey. Therefore the quest
is still ours to learn to develop a square block that is supposed to slip
through a round hole.

Support comes in the form of mucho denaro and that simply doesnt take shape on
"version only" sites.

-DG-