Subject: Re: FLASH: Browser types
From: Daniel Votino
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 05:03:24 GMT

May I ask a silly question?
Isn't it really "our" job to see that the world utilizes the current plugs
and browsers? "Our" being the "developers"?
I agree there is a need to design so as to be accessilbe to the majority of
users but its seems that if all developers would unite we could make a
pretty good case for the new technolgy and even be successful.
Here's an entirely irrational and unthinkable solution!
How about we dont support lesser versions of things!?
Crazy I know. But don't ban me yet!
What if we spent less time building multiple sites of the same things to
service the half interested users (I say half because they aren't up on
their archaic technology or don't really care) and instead, we find ways to
nicely invite the user to get caught up and make it easy for them to do so.
They are going to have to do it eventually and the only reason they will is
becasue some developer SOMEWHERE has made a strong enough case for it at
their site, either by twisting the users arm, making it so inviting, or some
other great method. When it all comes down to it. The developers I think
are the only ones that can eliminate so many plugs and browser versions in
the playing field. They do it perhaps by, not necessarily showing no
support for an older product, but by heavenly supporting the newer. Food for
thought. Kick me in the shins for saying so. Maybe its just my mood
tonight.

~Daniel