Subject: RE: FLASH: Browser types
From: Les Mizzell
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 21:33:06 GMT

> May I ask a silly question?
> Isn't it really "our" job to see that the world utilizes the current plugs
> and browsers? "Our" being the "developers"?
> May I ask a silly question?
> Isn't it really "our" job to see that the world utilizes the current plugs
> and browsers?

Would seem that way, but this depends on who's paying your bills.

My main client has one office with over 200 PCs, all running I.E. 3.0 with
Java disabled!! They **REFUSE** to change any configurations because "it
took us forever to get this system stable and we're NOT changing anything."

Represents a major challenge on my part to make things work the way they
want.

They wanted a search function attached to a database with over 50,000 zip
code/location entries in it. Found a great way to do it with about 35 lines
of PERL code. Guess what? "PERL??? Oh no, we're not putting PERL on our
server, sorry."

Took a ASP page with VBScripting with over 300 lines of stupid code to do
the same thing, and what I could have done in one afternoon with PERL took
several days instead.

Plugins? Forget it!

I would love to force these folks to upgrade, but it won't happen. Site
stats on many of my sites tell me that I've still got a bunch of Netscape
2.x users out there. To be honest, the ONLY way I see that the browsing
hordes stay current would have been to have "time-outs" installed in the
browsing software itself that would FORCE an upgrade, like it or not.

All in all, most clients want me to design for the lowest common
denominator, and having to design several versions of everything is a pain
in the butt, but at the same time I'm getting paid by the hour, so I can't
complain too much.

mizzellatmsn [dot] com (mailto:mizzellatmsn [dot] com)