Subject: Re: FLASH: 4.0r26 HAS AUDIO PROBLEMS NOW . . . .
From: Matt Wobensmith
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 00:57:59 GMT

Normally, I don't investigate every time someone claims there's a problem
with the Flash Player. I look at issues all day, and to hunt down *every*
instance of someone saying there's a problem is impossible. It's
time-consuming enough to deal with just those with actual recreate-able
steps.

Just to help the people who raised the issue, I took a sound, sampled at 44
khz, 16 bit, stereo. I imported it into Flash and exported two SWFs - one
with the sound set to stream and one set to event. I set the quality
settings to the highest (mp3, 160kbs, best) , so that I could hear any
slight variations.

I tested this on Mac Netscape using the r7, r25 and the r26 players. Both
sounded great. No change, and no static.

I tested it on Windows Netscape using r7 and the r26 players. Again, no
change in quality, which sounded fine.

I tested it on Windows IE using r25 and r26. No difference.

I should say that a) my job is not testing these all day, b) I don't have
time to test all players, and c) your system may vary. So, take this for
what it's worth.

Seeing as I wasn't able to hear any sound problems, I don't see a reason to
be alarmed. If you're thinking "well, maybe he didn't recreate what I'm
hearing", this is true. If you have an issue that you want someone to look
at, it would help others to see it by including the following:

-platform
-browser
-version of player
-what *exactly* it takes to reproduce

In this case, was the sound set to stream or event? Did the user find this
happening at one compression rate? One type? All sounds or just imported?
Every time? Every machine?

I'm not trying to defer people from bringing up questions, but without some
proof that I/anyone can see, there's no solutions for anyone.

I'm happy to help people overcome Flash concerns, but I would encourage any
and all people to test these issues thoroughly before assuming it's the
player. I spent some quality time on this, just to see what was going on,
and I could not reproduce.

I don't test things unless they come to me in a way that I can
constructively contribute. If you have a valid support license, you can call
Tech Support. Or, posting to this list and the newsgroups can help you find
information.

Again, I did this for the benefit of the people on this list. Please feel
free to investigate on your own. I don't test these for end users (outside
of Tech Support) on a regular basis. If you can absolutely isolate a
problem, consistently, and give detailed step-by-step instructions that
ANYONE can recreate, post it. Otherwise, it's not possible for anyone to
come to any conclusions.

-Matt

Matt Wobensmith
Macromedia Tech Support
Flash Team Lead

please send responses to the list for the benefit of all.
do not write to this address for technical support.