Subject: Re: FLASH: Tracing Bitmaps
From: dartfrogmedia
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 02:15:47 +0100

At 07:55 PM 7/8/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Thanks John.
>
>But can I bring an existing Bitmap into Flash and convert it to vector so I
>can paint it and resize it and all the cool stuff that goes with vector
>without loosing quality?
>
>-Greg

The main purpose of converting to vector is to reduce detail, smooth
animation, and achieve scalability. If your bitmap is "cartoon-like," that
is, it is mainly simply contours and solid fills, it will convert easily to
vector and the Flash autotrace tool may do an adequate job. If the bitmap
is more photographic you will not be able to retain the original detail
without creating a vector that is nearly as large as, or possibly larger
than, the original bitmap. You will have achieved scalability but animation
will be choppy and your movie size will be larger. If you are going to do
lots of work animating bitmaps, Director *may* be a better choice,
although Director is not streamlined for the Web the way Flash is.