Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash in Layers
From: John Croteau
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 19:16:14 +0100

Hi Bill,

> >You do understand that the Flash movie will be transparent only in Win
> >32 versions of MSIE 4 and later. And that layer control for the Flash
> >movie will be limited to the topmost layer except in the same IE 4 Win
> >32 browsers.
> No I did not. Thank you for telling me. Then I will need to vectorize
> the bitmap.
NOT neccessarily, I second Mark's suggestion, try it as a bitmap in
Flash first. If not Flash 4 do not import as a jpeg. Some images are
better as bitmaps, some do better as vectors. Just don't try
manipulating large bitmaps in Flash (let them sit).

> This may be a silly question, but if the Shockwave-flash plugin
> handles the playing of Flash files, why are they not Browser and OS
> independent?
Flash and all plugin rely on what they are plugged in to for some of
their functionality. Every program has limits and capabilities based on
the container it resides in, whether it is an operating system like
Windows, a browser, a toaster or a robot (whatever). So maybe a little
silly (maybe not), but none-the-less an important concept.