Subject: Re: [flasher] JScript and ActionScript
From: John Dowdell
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 21:47:29 -0000

At 5:12 AM 3/12/1, CA wrote:
>I've been learning JavaScript but the book I'm using "JavaScript Bible"
>stears the study towards Navigator's Object Model. My client only develops
>for Microsoft IE 5. Will Flash work just as well with JScript? What are
>the downfalls of learning JScript instead of JavaScript?

No worries... the scripting language within the Macromedia Flash Player
doesn't really interact with any scripting used in the various browsers.
(The exception is when you're explicitly making them talk together, but
even then they just pass messages.)

It's good that you're reading a JavaScript book... that's one way to
improve general scripting skills, and your knowledge will transfer over.
The syntax and structure of the languages are similar, even though the
objects you're addressing will generally differ.

Microsoft's "JScript" is the clean-room clone of Netscape's JavaScript.
They're functionally similar, although if you're trying to avoid
inadvertent browser-dependencies in a textbook then books on JavaScript are
usually better. Shouldn't usually make much of a practical difference in
most tutorials, though.

jd