Subject: Re: [flasher] Re: Importing a PNG Sequence in Flash 5?
From: John Dowdell
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 21:10:23 -0000

At 8:56 PM 3/14/1, Mary Anne Lynch wrote:
> I was unaware of the RAM-only playback. So this is one more reason
> to use Director for CD projects, correct?

If you're planning on projects that have more media than will fit into your
audience's various computers' memory, then a tool which has specific
features for media-management does offer advantages, true.

About the only control over loading you have is to load entire SWFs at a
time, and you'd need to be careful that any simultaneous load does not
exceed your audience's likely memory.

(Pete raised that important point that bitmaps and much of the audio need
to decompress from disk in order to play, and so swell up in RAM... with
the vector curves we're just remembering the instructions and so don't need
to have the computer memorize pixels, but if you've got a lot of bitmaps
then the filesize on disk is only a fraction of the true cost on the
audience's various machines.)

Flash is a great tool, but it isn't *all* tools... it's not a catch-all
media format like other tools are. Please take advantage of Flash's best
strengths!

jd