Subject: Re: FLASH: Communicating about adding Flash to apps
From: Michael Stanton
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 18:50:32 +0100

>>I would suggest that people who are using Flash in places other than the
web
>>speak up about it in this list. Let us know what kind of cool stuff you're
>>doing

I'm currently doing Flash animations for CD-ROM. Our Documentation
Department is converting written manuals, newsletters, reports, etc. to HTML
for display in a web browser. This has been extremely well received by
clients and my project is to display an introductory animation on a
quarterly basis since that's when CD-ROM updates will be sent to clients.
Each quarterly animation will be different than the last.

I'm pushing to do even more Flash and Director related projects, especially
integrating the two, but the company is new to multimedia animations and is
currently taking a curious but cautious approach. My supervisor, on the
other hand, is very supportive and enthusiastic about it--very gung-ho--and
wants to supply cutting-edge animations to our clients. I have used Adobe
After Effects to create animated splash screens for integration in our
InstallShield software release installs. Based on the popularity of those
animations, she's given me the green light to learn and use both Director
and Flash. Hopefully, more animation projects will come my way since I'm
really hooked on using this stuff. "Work" has never been so much "fun"!

Actually, I consider myself very fortunate to see all my previous "static"
art, done in Illustrator, Photoshop, and even PageMaker and Quark, spring to
life thanks to sound and movement made possible by software like After
Effects, Director, and Flash. I'm completely sold on animation and look
forward to an increasing workload of such projects.

Mike Stanton
Graphic Designer | Waterloo, WI
stantonatjefnet [dot] com