Subject: Re: AW: FLASH: I'm looking for good Flash examples
From: Al Rosetti
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 22:15:18 +0100

Since we are debating download times here is my 2 cents. The only time I
feel it's important to increase the time it takes to download something is
if you are using graphics to help brand a product. Unfortunately Flash is
primarily a Vector art tool, and doesn't work well with bitmaps. Without
bitmaps you can't brand most products or companies very well. Therefore
most Flash you see on the web is just wizbang that doesn't help the company
who purchased it. Sure, Gabocorp "brands" perfectly with it's site... but
he's built his company on a "vectorish" multimedia image. I see a lot of
developers shoe horning a companies existing style into a vector format that
looks cheap to most people. Designers/artists/web masters all get excited
when we see really cool vector art, but that's because we understand how
hard it is to do properly. Every chance I get I show people my work(and
other people's) just to get a response from the average joe. Many times I'm
totally stunned by what they think looks cheap, lousy or unprofessional.....
and unfortunately what they think looks good, hehehehe. The one and only
thing people have consistantly told me they like about Flash stuff is the
movement on the page that it creates. However, how well does that help
companies brand their image? It depends on the company I suppose.

Sincerely,

Al Rosetti
http://www.websitepartners.com

and for probably the next 2 weeks, my ever famous comic book, home page
"demo" <g>...
http://www.websitepartners.com/chaos/index.htm