Subject: FLASH: A Variety of Questions
From: Rachel Bachman
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 22:05:55 +0100

Hello All,

I have several questions regarding the abilities of
Flash 4. The things that I ask about I know I can
do in Director but I am not 100% sure I can accomplish
the same tasks in Flash 4. I believe that Generator
could do all the things I will be asking about but it
is not something I can use at this juncture.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer my questions.
I have taken as much time as I can to research. In
a sane world, I would try to find out the information
by doing more research but I just don't have that time.

_____ The Questions_____
1.
Can you have linked files that update in a swf file?
For example, can I place a gif file that lives on a server
(and is updated regularly) in a flash file and will that gif
update in the swf file? Or do I need to open the fla file,
update it and then create a new swf file? I vaguely remember
being able to have some sort of linked files in either
flash 2 or 3 but could not find that option in flash 4.

2.
Am looking for suggestions as to where to find statistics
that compare the number of users that have the flash-only
plugin vs. the number of users that have the
director/shockwave plugin.

3.
I believe that by using the GET and/or POST method that I could
bring text into a swf from an outside source. With Director/shockwave,
all I would need is a .txt file and would not have to go through
a CGI script. Is this also possible with Flash or must I work through
a CGI script? (I really don¹t know anything about CGI scripts;
if you can, please forgive my ignorance.)

4.
Thus far, I've found the scripting environment in Flash 4
to be a bit awkward. I am curious to know if there seems
to be a limit to the amount of scripts or handlers or
behaviors or subroutines (whatever you want to call
them) without it becoming too confusing? I have the potential
of needing to write 50 individual scripts (handlers I would
say in Director) that can be accessed by as many buttons.

Again, thanks for your time.
Rachel