Subject: Re: UKNM: SPAM, SPAM, SPAM
From: aajgray
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 10:42:57 +0100

Can't help but get the feeling there's a song in that title.

Baaaa

Wounded All Black

> <devil's advocate>
>People react differently to e-mail now, but that might
>change. I bet the first person who got a Readers'
>Digest flyer through the post was pretty surprised
>too.
</devil's advocate>

>Mark Wrote:
>direct marketing has thrived on the assumption that
>the 3% who respond are worth the 97% who think you're
>a bunch of wankers. i fear the same logic will apply
>to email
>
>Mark
>
>JB Says:
>I agree with this. Most people forget that it's not JUST about response
>rates, but also about customer perception. If I get a response rate of
about
>1% from SPAM (and, as said before, IT IS SPAM!) then there are 99% of
people
>who are unimpressed. Some will have such a poor impression of us that they
>won't EVER consider our services again. Now this IS damaging to the brand
>and service.
>
>Not only that, but it will also be appealing to the bargain hunting crowd
of
>customers that inhabit the web. These are the most dangerous customers -
>they will always find someone selling the products that they want at a
loss,
>they are completely disloyal and just chase around after the best deal. I
>can't be too critical of them (as some of the list run websites that appeal
>to this kind of customer) but these people aren't really WORTH targeting.
>
>As for direct mail, it is different to direct email - but that has been
>explained previously.
>
>Cheers
>
>John

ScreamingMedia the leading global technology platform for
the aggregation and distribution of digital content over the
Internet, is now operating in the United Kingdom.
Get relevant and customised content to attract visitors
to your site and keep them there. Click Here!

http://adcenter.in2.com/cgi-bin/click.cgi?tid=31036