Subject: Re: UKNM: Re : Mobile Commerce
From: will rowan
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 18:43:34 +0100

Tom,

good points -

Will

Tom Hume wrote:

> At 13:18 15/08/2000 +0100, UKNM Digest wrote:
>
> > > Can anyone enlighten me as to whether M-commerce will take off in the
> U.K.
> >Good question
> >Yes, it will.
> >But not on WAP as we know it: it's too slow, screens are mono & small, &
> >transactions usually not available (see editorial, this month's Net
Profit)

> WAP is not responsible for small screens or monochrome displays.
> Transactions are possible - Amazon, for instance, allow purchases through
> their WAP service. End-to-end security is not currently there but there
are
> workarounds (like Amazons) and this is an issue future versions of WAP
will
> address.

QED ;¬)

> > > Probably not. And certainly not on its own. Wait for Bluetooth to
bring
> it
> > > life
>
> Bluetooth is a completely separate technology. Bluetooth and WAP fit
> together as well as Bluetooth and FTP.

Yes they are separate technologies. Working together, though, for example
Bluetooth enables a wireless device to become networked, which completes the
loop and turns phones from mobile communicators to mobile computers, with
the
attendant cpapbilities. (& since it's all in the future, I'll add 'probably'
that)

> > > How come WAP has not seen success in Europe as i-Mode in Japan so far
?
> >Bandwidth Bandwidth Bandwidth - UMTS (next year's network) is 200 times
> >faster
> >than gsm
>
> UMTS won't reach people here next year (except in trial areas like
> Newbury). GPRS users will still be in a small minority.

True, agreed

--
If you need an E Commerce answer, ask the customer first
E AskatTheCustomer [dot] co [dot] uk www.TheCustomer.co.uk

ScreamingMedia the leading global technology platform for
the aggregation and distribution of digital content over the
Internet, is now operating in the United Kingdom.
Get relevant and customised content to attract visitors
to your site and keep them there. Click Here!

http://adcenter.in2.com/cgi-bin/click.cgi?tid=31036