Subject: re: Re: UKNM: Targetted Email Capaigns.
From: ben
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 09:53:04 GMT

I would agree on this, spam is spam, however polite you make it. Having said that, in an ideal
world, the only unsolicited email you would receive would be from companies whose
products you are interested in. As this is the dream of 1 to 1 marketers, maybe this is just a
stage...

This may all become a bit of a moot point, as shown by this article from Peppers and Rogers
which points the way for this type of marketing in the states...

=> Uncle Spam

It's the U.S. government to the rescue again. This time, it's the U.S.
House of Representatives' commerce committee, which convened
recently to examine ways to prevent spam from thwarting efforts to
build consumer confidence in electronic commerce.
The committee is
consulting a handful of Internet business executives to determine the
overall impact of spam. A big concern is that spamming can harm the
reputation of Internet service providers and cause consumers to be
reluctant to do business online. U.S. Rep. Heather Wilson, a New
Mexico Republican, says she authored the Unsolicited Electronic Mail
Act of 1999 with careful attention to the Constitution. Rather than ban
spam, which would violate free speech, the bill would give recipients
greater power to opt out of receiving it. In a related matter, the Direct
Marketing Association is already moving toward a voluntary anti-spam
solution. The DMA's new email preference service will allow people to
remove their email addresses from marketing lists similar to the
way suggested by Wilson's bill.

I guess the unspoken part here is that if you violate this opt out, you are liable to get your
wrists slapped...

Ben