Subject: Re: UKNM: NMA: Virgin will go free
From: Ian Betteridge
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 18:35:17 GMT

Stef writes:

> I would throw myself down on the floor in fawning admiration if I hadn't
> heard your exclusive from about 10 different sources since the beginning
> of december. not to mention that you'd need to be a complete chucklehead
> not to spot a total shakeout was underway in the paid-for ISP market.

And furthermore, Alex didn't actually *say* that Virgin would go free:

> Alex Dale, marketing director
> at Virgin Net says the company is now looking at offering a free service
> inside two months: "I think it's fairly obvious why. We have to look at the
> new models. It's not strictly free, really it's no fixed subscription - but
> I think paying for subscription is going to have a limited future."

"looking at" isn't the same as "going" free. Any ISP that isn't doing
exactly the same isn't being run properly.

Mike, defending exclusives by snapping at people doesn't do you any favours.

--
Ian Betteridge News Editor, MacUser UK
W: 0171 917 3872 M: 07957 235463