Subject: Re: UKNM: NMA: Virgin will go free
From: Danny O'Brien
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 16:43:52 GMT

On Mon, Feb 01, 1999 at 06:19:03PM +0000, Mike Butcher wrote:
> >I would throw myself down on the floor in fawning admiration if I hadn't
> >heard your exclusive from about 10 different sources since the beginning
> >of december.
> >Stefan Magdalinski
>
> Funnily enough, the beginning of December was precisely when we ran the
> story on News International.
>
> I was merely making the point in my original posting that rumour is one
> thing - publishing researched news is quite another.

Well, up to a point, Lord Copper.

As I read it, you made a stronger point in your original e-mail. You said
that if people had heard the rumour about Virgin Net, it was originally from
your piece in New Media Age - shockingly shared by the hoi-polloi without
attribution. And you made mention that if someone ever tells you that they've
heard a rumour, they should "reach for your copy of NMA and get the friggin'
facts."

I'd like to think that the Virgin Net story illustrates precisely how good
journalism *can* differ from rumour. And also, how a great deal of
journalism is really no better than tales spread by that nasty, untutored and
unprofessional bunch - the public.

The chances are - as Leslie indicated, that the rumour didn't come from NMA. I
imagine it came from the same source as NMA originally heard it: from within
Virgin Net itself. While I don't want to suggest that Virgin have been
actively broadcasting this story, you can understand why they would want to.
Widespread publicity indicating a switch to a free model would encourage their
customers to stay a few more months, while at the same time reassuring their
advertisers and other investors that they intend to keep abreast with the
latest changes in the ISP market. It makes a great deal of sense for them to
dictate the agenda on this issue, by placing the story - both through word of
mouth, and via publications like NMA that pride themselves on their
unquestionable authority in these matters. The story you printed shows just
how easy it is to do this: an NMA journo hears a juicy bit of gossip (just
like Leslie did), and does the simplest bit of research in the world. He or
she phones up Alex, and asks for a quote. Alex gives a sly nod to the
possibility - cleverly drops in Virgin's long and innovative history of "free"
services like the Citibank deal - and, whump. Instant plug for Virgin Net.
Without any breach of ethics, NMA and Virgin co-operate to maintain the
respective reputations that they depend on for income: "exclusive scoops" and
"forward-thinking service provider".

At the heart of it, though, all that's going on is the same as people
e-mailing the juicy bit of news around, for free. Except now, of course, it
has the instant mark of objective respectability that NMA offers. Suddenly,
it's the "friggin' facts".

Is this good journalism? Perhaps. Although any of us, hacks or not, could
have phoned up Alex to confirm or deny the story. In an ideal world, however,
maybe what passes for journalism should have been spiced with the analysis
that readers *wouldn't* have the time or inclination to provide. Perhaps a
broader story would have asked the following questions:

* _Why_ in "two months"? What is involved in Virgin Net switching to a free
model? Could you really re-engineer a paid-for service to a free model in
such a short time? The devil is in the details here: Freeserve's service
was designed from the ground up to be free, and includes a lot of
technical aspects that would be tricky to graft onto an older
system. Off the top of my head: maintaining bandwidth, introducing
anti-spam safeguards, scaling up customer service, introducing mechanisms
to monitor the new cash flow source.

* _How_ does this affect the NTL-Virgin Net relationship? Wouldn't the
previous agreements have to be re-negotiated? Who has the upper hand in
those discussions? How is the revenue to be divided? Who would bare the
brunt of the engineering costs? Again - could all of that contractual
hoo-ha *really* be done in such a short time-frame?

* _Who's_ been leading the move? It must be somebody high up, to be on such
a timeframe. Is it at the very top - the Virgin Group level? Virgin Net
management? Marketing? Technical? NTL??

* And finally, the meta-story. Why is Virgin Net happy to let a rumour fly
around that they're switching? Is it a sign of panic or has it all been
planned for some time? _Where_ are they going with this? _What's_ the
long term plan? Is it to sell off Virgin Net, as other Virgin projects
have been in the past? Or is it to maintain numbers, to keep ad revenues
high?

All of these questions require time, thought and research to answer: they
can't be solved by a simple call to the V.Net switchboard.

I should declare an interest here, and state that whoever does answer these
questions, NTK ain't going to be it. As someone who was involved with the
initial booting of Virgin Net (employee #6? Something like that), I feel
incredibly uncomfortable covering V.Net stories. Even though I left the
company some time ago, it still smacks of writing about your
advertisers: no matter how hard you try to fool yourself that you're being
detached, you're susceptable to all kinds of influences (personal
friendships, insider knowledge, the fact that ultimately, they're paying your
wages) that have no place in writing a good, strong piece. I must admit to
being cowardly: there are plenty of other stories to cover, and frankly, I
think the move to the free ISP model is so obvious now as to be practically
anti-news. I'd rather just stay away from the whole hot potato.

So I don't know the answers to the above, and I'm not going to try and find them
out. But I reckon that anyone with five minutes to spare could frame the same
questions, and anyone who claims to earn their living from selling their
opinions to the public should aim to answer them. I think it would be an
excellent story for NMA to cover. Properly.

Sorry if I sound shirty about this. But you did sound a bit arrogant about how
great NMA is as a source compared to the great unwashed, and I really didn't
see much to be arrogant about here.

> If you would like to reveal your sources stefan then I'm sure we can all
> subscribe to their ramblings, and forget about those troublesome newspapers
> and magazines.

I stopped subscribing to magazines years ago. Dumbly, I believe that you can
get a much better approximation to the truth by listening to discussions on
the Net, and e-mailing the right people. I've really taken on board this "cut
out the middle man" hype hook line and sinker, haven't I?

I still read the Times Interface section though. Well, it makes me laugh.

best wishes,

d.