Subject: Re: UKNM: The Big Retailers - was Toys R Us
From: Steve Johnston/IMRG
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 20:12:01 GMT

Ouch Felix. And there was me being so pleased to see you name on the list
again, as you usually have such interesting things to say.

Firstly let me correct your outrageous spam accusation.

We used Head New Media's general email address mdathead-newmedia [dot] com, not
your personal one although I can see now that it may end up in the same
place - as per the Revolution creative portfolio published at the end of
last year, you know, the email address you advertise, for people to get in
touch with you - as one of only 16 emails sent to a selection of companies
from this portfolio, of which no doubt there are others on UKNM. You also
got a highly personalised apology from our General Manager once you had
expressed your desire not to be mailed in that way. Needless to say you
have been removed from our list.

>From my understanding 'spamming' is the action of blanket mailing adverts
without regard for topical relevance. Our mailing to you was an advert to
encourage you to join the membership of the IMRG on the back of a members
meeting we have next week in which Mark Danby of Freeserve is presenting.
We even sent you a list of confirmed attendees. Given what I know of your
company's activity, this struck me as a highly relevant mailing. I presume
the 'rudeness' you refer to amounts simply to the form of the opening
sentence which began 'Shouldn't you be there?' and the simple fact that it
arrived unannounced.

I'll concede that the 'to' email address we used does not exist, but that
is merely a tactic to get it through our modest Notes mail server without
rejection and to have some semblance of meaning to recipients. If this is
considered a Netiquette sin, we will refrain from doing it.

Secondly let me address your complete lack of humour and your remarkable
superiority complex.

My response to Sajid was intended as a joke. In context you will have seen
that he had been a little tedious in his comment on a previous post of mine
and in response I had a little dig at him ( Sajid, I hope you got the joke
). So to then listed to your self important tirade about the qualifications
for comment defies belief. Particularly when the comment you so took
exception to was neither genuine nor serious. So for the record, Felix, I
do not believe business-to-business e-commerce is duller than dishwater -
and I am quite happy with the dishwater analogy, given that it is a long
time since anyone looked in a real ditch to check the water. And quite what
generating revenue has to do with something being inherently not dull, I do
not know

Thirdly, and most importantly on to your damaging comments about the IMRG.

Felix wrote:
>If the IMRG were to want to become anything but a laughing stock to
>those of us at the coal face, it would be encouraging ANY kind of
>real-world application as opposed to denigrating the work we're doing
>that you then capitalise on.

Can I begin by thanking you for your concern about industry attitudes to
our organisation. However, I am completely baffled by your comments about
denigration and capitalisation. I am happy that I have answered your
denigration charge, above, on the understanding that it was a humorous
reference. Quite what you can be referring to with regards to us
capitalising on the work you do eludes me. I don't really want to invite
further conversation on this issue, but perhaps you could be clearer off
list.

The IMRG whilst taking a position on retail best practice online - and
being a consumer qualifies me for that judgement - we are careful not to go
around slagging off naive or underfunded offerings, and instead try to work
with those who are close to being excellent to get the extra mile sorted so
that they can be used as examples and motivators (we are currently
discussing such matters with Swatch in Switzerland). We stop short of
encouraging ANY kind of real-world application because we believe a great
deal of what is put before the online consumer currently is inadequate. If
on the other hand you are happy with the general state of e-commerce
offerings for the consumer and believe that developers such as Head New
Media with their research-design-strategic-planning-past-or-current success
are the only organisations fit to judge this then we clearly have little in
common and a membership of the IMRG will be a waste of your money.

Incidentally Felix, I was at the new media coal face from August 1994 to
January 1998 and spent the previous seven years building a bricks and
mortar retail business.

Phew.

Steve Johnston
Director of Development
The IMRG
www.imrg.org
07000 46 46 74

Please respond to uk-netmarketingatchinwag [dot] com
To: uk-netmarketingatchinwag [dot] com
cc:

Steve Johnston, Director of Development at IMRG wrote:
>>Seriously, the one topic that has yet to appear in this thread is the
>>aspect of e-commerce that isn't retail, but business-to-business
>>procurement.
>
> Yeah, that's right Sajid, because its duller than dishwater.

IMRG is the same organisation that spammed me yesterday in the rudest
manner using a forged forwarded message. Past or current success (of
any kind: research, design, strategic planning or whatever) or at
least an understanding of netiquette are IMO the prerequisites to be
able to comment on such an issue - the comment you posted above was
so crass as to be unbelievable.

We, that is those of us who are actually succeeding in the new media
strategy, design and production business, are setting the precedents
consumer e-commerce companies (e-tailers) are only now (pace amazon)
beginning to follow. We are actually generating results: 59 enquiries
converting to 31 qualified leads with average GBP5million business
per lead (for C&L pre-merger, have a look at
http://www.head-case.com/coopers), for example.

In our 'duller than dishwater' (surely you mean ditchwater) business
- at least some of us are actually generating revenue.

If the IMRG were to want to become anything but a laughing stock to
those of us at the coal face, it would be encouraging ANY kind of
real-world application as opposed to denigrating the work we're doing
that you then capitalise on.

Felix Velarde
director Head New Media
success is about interaction