Subject: Re: UKNM: The Big Retailers - was Toys R Us
From: Felix Velarde
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 11:13:18 GMT

'morning Steve

On 04.02.99 I read:

> Ouch Felix. And there was me being so pleased to see you name on the list
> again, as you usually have such interesting things to say.

ouch I think - am I not known for my controversial posts to groups?

> Firstly let me correct your outrageous spam accusation.

you can't. You spammed me, under false pretenses, in an unforgivably
rude manner, naturally unsolicited, and using a deliberate
misdirection (meaning your colleague forged a forwarded message).
Don't, please, do it again - it ill becomes an organisation that
would wish to be taken at all seriously as an authority on e-matters
as opposed to a get-rich-quick scheme.

> Secondly let me address your complete lack of humour and your remarkable
> superiority complex.

hark who talks!

> My response to Sajid was intended as a joke.

Use a smiley.

> In context you will have seen
> that he had been a little tedious in his comment on a previous post of mine
> and in response I had a little dig at him ( Sajid, I hope you got the joke
> ).

which joke - the one where you call Sajid tedious or the invisible
one in your post?

> So to then listed to your self important tirade about the qualifications
> for comment defies belief. Particularly when the comment you so took
> exception to was neither genuine nor serious.

Use a smiley. They were invented for the avoidance of doubt in written posts.

> So for the record, Felix, I
> do not believe business-to-business e-commerce is duller than dishwater -
> and I am quite happy with the dishwater analogy, given that it is a long
> time since anyone looked in a real ditch to check the water. And quite what
> generating revenue has to do with something being inherently not dull, I do
> not know

Ah, now we know. Please can you use a smiley?

> Thirdly, and most importantly on to your damaging comments about the IMRG.
>
> Felix wrote:
>>If the IMRG were to want to become anything but a laughing stock to
>>those of us at the coal face, it would be encouraging ANY kind of
>>real-world application as opposed to denigrating the work we're doing
>>that you then capitalise on.
>
> Can I begin by thanking you for your concern about industry attitudes to
> our organisation. However, I am completely baffled by your comments about
> denigration and capitalisation. I am happy that I have answered your
> denigration charge, above, on the understanding that it was a humorous
> reference.

Smiley now inferred.

> Quite what you can be referring to with regards to us
> capitalising on the work you do eludes me. I don't really want to invite
> further conversation on this issue, but perhaps you could be clearer off
> list.

Point taken - maybe we just think that we do all the valuable
groundwork that bodies such as IMRG then belittle... ;) [ironic joke]

> The IMRG whilst taking a position on retail best practice online - and
> being a consumer qualifies me for that judgement

Bollocks. Since when did being a consumer qualify anyone for
anything? Does it imply that I, as a consumer of Weetabix (although
maybe not enough), am qualified to design the packaging, employ the
farmers etc? Surely all it qualifies me to be is an eater of
Weetabix. Sorry old fruit, my judgement is just as valid on that one
as yours, Sajid's, Mike Slocombe's or the
always-right-except-where-it-come-to-the-net Bill Gates'.

> - we are careful not to go
> around slagging off naive or underfunded offerings, and instead try to work
> with those who are close to being excellent to get the extra mile sorted so
> that they can be used as examples and motivators (we are currently
> discussing such matters with Swatch in Switzerland).

(Curious: why? Would it not be more useful to discuss it with
Swatch's web agency? Swatch sell watches - it's all they're
'qualified' to do!)

> We stop short of
> encouraging ANY kind of real-world application because we believe a great
> deal of what is put before the online consumer currently is inadequate. If
> on the other hand you are happy with the general state of e-commerce
> offerings for the consumer and believe that developers such as Head New
> Media with their research-design-strategic-planning-past-or-current success
> are the only organisations fit to judge this then we clearly have little in
> common and a membership of the IMRG will be a waste of your money.

...a decision I came to long ago: IMRG is backwards-looking, in my
opinion, in that it looks at what has gone before and then judges it
with hindsight. It appears as if its policy is to hold the hand of
the retailer while someone else goes off and does the
ground-breaking. The policy of the new media agency is to hold the
hand of the retailer while together they establish a foothold in new
territory. You might be able to tell I have a thing about
associations, groups, quangos and other back-slapping organisations:
long experience of pouring money in and seeing nothing but hot air
come out, without exception to the detriment of the client's
confidence, and as a consequence, to the industry that I belong to
(which is different to yours).

> Incidentally Felix, I was at the new media coal face from August 1994 to
> January 1998 and spent the previous seven years building a bricks and
> mortar retail business.

good-oh. Nice to see someone else who got bored with traditional
margins (in publishing you make 6 percent). Personally speaking being
part of a successful new media agency is worth sticking with - that
way your money is where your mouth is ;) [sarcastic joke]

> Phew.

likewise. It ain't personal Steve, you just need, as you say, to use
the occasional emoticon. :*